Favorites

These Plants Might Be Dangerous For Your Pet

How to prevent and handle dog poisoning situations

Toxic plants for pets

Walking or playing with our four-legged friends, enjoying the sun and the outdoors is certainly a gift from nature to us. Spring, late summer and fall are the perfect seasons for this as well as the best time for cases of allergic reactions and poisoning due to plants.



Numerous plants that can cause significant skin reactions or are toxic for our pets whether it is through contact or ingestion, are decorative plants that can be found often in our yard or parks as well as inside our homes.

Many of them when ingested in amounts large enough can cause severe cases of poisoning and death in pets.  

The ASPCA has published a list of poisonous plants for dogs based on the toxic agents that most frequently cause animal poison-related emergencies. These are: Lilies, Sago Palm, Tulip/Narcissus, Marijuana, Azalea/Rhododendron, Oleander, Castor Bean, Cyclamen, Kalanchoe, Yew, Amaryllis, Autumn Crocus, Chrysanthemum, English Ivy, Peace Lily, Pothos, and Schefflera.

Causes and Prevención

Even though we train our pets to not eat plants, some factors could induce them to do so. For instance, water shortages during hot temperatures could favor the ingestion of fresh plants available within their reach. Boredom, especially in puppies, can encourage them to distract themselves by biting whatever is around them, including plants.

It is recommended to keep an eye on our dog when changing environments, whether it is due to moving or on vacation, as our pet could feel tempted to explore their new surroundings despite the risks associated with this. In addition, a lack of space at home can increase dogs’ aggressiveness and anxiety, intensifying their need to break and chew whatever they can reach.

Symptoms

The symptoms of poisoning are not always obvious and they can sometimes only be noticed several hours or days after the incident.

These signs can be digestive, respiratory, neurological, and systemic, depending on the type and quantity of poisoning plant ingested and absorbed. If you witness your pet chewing, ingesting or vomiting any suspicious material, collect it, as it could help identify the causal agent of intoxication and find the proper antidote.

Turn your love for animals into a rewarding career!

Enroll in an online course

 

When To Seek Help

Even when the agent cannot be identified, with proper veterinary attention and routine treatments, the clinical picture of the dog is usually favorable.

Despite the fact that poisonous substances vary according to the plant as well as its part, such as leaves, stem, fruit, etc., there are certain common symptoms that can make us suspect our dog is poisoned.

Therefore, it is important to seek emergency assistance if you notice one or more of the following signs: vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, anorexia, hyper-salivation, depression, tremors, tachycardia, and seizures.

Join our pet-friendly community! Receive our newsletter with news and exclusive offers for members.

Forever Young – Find all you need to know to care for your senior dog: weight management, alternative therapies, nutritional supplements, active lifestyle tips, and more!

Leave a Reply ● Deje su comentario ● Laissez votre commentaire

%d bloggers like this: